Wednesday, March 18, 2009

CP vs. CF Release

You'll hear the words 'centripetal release (aka cp release)' and 'centrifigul release (aka cf release)' along with 'swinging left' bantied about in the golf swing. Here's what I understand it's supposed to mean.

First off, 'swinging left' relates to the 'centripetal release.' Hogan is considered the prototype of the 'centripetal release.' Take a look:


As you can see, Mr. Hogan's hands are 'working left.' If we had some photos of his swing a little later, his hands would disappear behind body.

I think Moe Norman is a quintessential example of the 'centrifigul force.'



I think I see more great players with the CP release than the CF release. But on the other hands as the handicaps start to lower, I think we tend to see more CP releases. I've been told that CP release associates more with 'swinging' and CF releases associates more with 'hitting.' I know Geoff Jones (aka SliceFixer) teaches a CP release.

I see a lot of golfers that try to use the CP release and wind up failing miserably. The problem I have with the CP release is that it's easy to start coming over the top. I think the CP release should be *considered* when the golfer is coming too far under plane (aka having too much of an inside-to-out swing path). So in my belief, a golfer needs to get the fundamentals down with the swing and then coming too far under the plane to start thinking about 'swinging left' and using the CP release. It would also help working with a qualified teaching professional to make sure you're doing it right.




3JACK

No comments: