Monday, March 11, 2013

Driving Effectiveness Announcement



I’m working on possibly tweaking my Driving Effectiveness algorithm.

While my Driving Effectiveness algorithm has a fairly strong correlation to Adjusted Scoring Average, if I can tweak it to create a consistently stronger correlation I will do it. This will mean a better representation of what goes into driving the ball most effectively.

The metric I’m toying with now and looking to add to the algorithm is the percentage of drives that miss the fairway and the rough (fairway bunkers, O.B., hazards, trees, etc). Right now I have an algorithm that represents a noticeably stronger correlation coefficient than my current Driving Effectiveness formula. However, this is only based on the 2012 season.

I would need to check these over for at least the past 5 years and if I get a stronger mathematical correlation, I will make the changes to the algorithm.

Anyway, here is what I have for the top-20 in 2012 with this experimental formula. Their rankings in Driving Effectiveness for 2012 (current formula) are in parentheses:

1. Hunter Mahan (3)
2. Bubba Watson (1)
3. Tiger Woods (39)
4. Louis Oosthuizen (14)
5. Charl Schwartzel (59)
6. Rory McIlroy (2)
7. Charlie Beljan (4)
8. John Senden (25)
9. Adam Scott (12)
10. John Huh (11)
11. Graeme McDowell (7)
12. Boo Weekley (5)
13. Roberto Castro (30)
14. David Toms (57)
15. Kyle Stanley (15)
16. Justin Rose (23)
17. Keegan Bradley (10)
18. Bo Van Pelt (17)
19. Tim Clark (37)
20. Dustin Johnson (24)

Biggest Decline: Brendan Steele (119th from 54th) & Kevin Na (154th from 89th)

Biggest Improvement: William McGirt (72nd from 136th) I am continuing to work on this. Hopefully this will give a more accurate representation of what is needed for ALL golfers to drive the ball better. I will update my status on this when new developments arise. 3JACK Read more: http://richie3jack.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=blog&action=display&thread=4126#ixzz2NHb2IUxq

No comments: