Monday, August 10, 2009

Analyzing Balance With Shawn Clement

Great video analyzing balance by Shawn Clement



I found it real interesting in how the weight of the arms effects balance and how his center of gravity was on the heels at impact. I've gone over 7-17 in Homer Kelley's 'The Golfing Machine' quite a bit, which I believe is a brilliant, yet overlooked part of the book. Clement's teachings are very much in tune with 7-17, in particular of how important it is to keep the weight off the toes in the golf swing and more in the middle of the arches of the feet.

And for thoe who forget about 7-17 of TGM or don't have an idea what I'm talking about, once again is the videos I made on the subject.




One thing I am finding out that helps with balance greatly is to have a S-L-O-W and D-E-L-I-B-E-R-A-T-E startdown of the swing. Having a fast and hurried startdown promotes poor rhythm. And it's very difficult in my mind to have good balance and poor rhythm. They basically tend to go hand-in-hand. But with a better startdown, I've found that my balance usually greatly improves as well.




3JACK

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't we give ANYTHING to see Hogan's graph???

VJ said...

Do you think it's even more important for us tall guys to get this right? Do you read any of Kelvin Miyahira's stuff?? Pretty interesting and cool...especially his theory on the spine engine. Sorry for the off topic post....

Rich H. said...

I think it's important for anybody to get this right. I do see some golfers hit the ball very well with horrible footwork. They seem to balance themselves to a degree, but something I wouldn't advise. I really wish when I was in HS that somebody would've stressed footwork and where the weight should be. I think it's that important and has really helped my game.

Hogan's would be nice, but I would love to see Hogan, Moe and Snead on Trackman. That would've been superb.

Mike Pedersen said...

This may be my problem. A ballistic move from the top, with no chance of my lower body shifting and then clearing. That's why I fight steep, flipping and toe shots...ugh!

I am going to work in a shallower plane coming down, but with a "slow" and "deliberate" downswing (transition).